Change font size
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:48 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: The Website/Club Thread.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:03 am 

Car(s): TE Sedan, VT Commodore Wagon, VT Calais.
Thought I'd make this for everyone to have an opinion on the website/club.

Choose a name, I'm not even sure it's GemiSA or Just Gems of SA still. I remember back on HotGemini.com the club was called SA Isuzu Club, which I thought was pretty cool cause it would get a bit more of a following with the Belletts and Piazza's. Maybe have a vote on a name?

I think that we need to get bigger. More users online, more people at cruises etc. Try and get the forums more active. If guests see that we are heaps active, maybe they will be more inclined to join? Also been said before but maybe have stickers on cars. If need be, my mrs can get any size of whatever you want in any/multiple colours or with a picture for something like $5 each posted.

Here is one she had made up to put on her Wagon. Been on there or about a year and no sign at all of fade or anything.

I'm just not sure if I want a sticker on the back of the car, maybe on the rear 1/4's though. Stickers can attract defects because of the bad reputation car clubs in SA have :roll:

Another thing was a website. Have like a 'featured car of the month' as the main part of the screen with links somewhere to get to the forum or jump to a page about up coming events/cruises and stuff like that. So keep the forum and stuff as it is, just add a website before you get here pretty much.

My 2c

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: The Website/Club Thread.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:54 pm 

Car(s): TG Gemini,TE gemini,79 coupe,78 TD pano,TG racecar
stickers good idea. also good idea is a "featured car of the month" but to do so we will need alot more cars and members to do so. Maybe best car of the season, then thats only 4 per year. that could inspire people to get their gemi's up and run'n.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:33 am 

Car(s): TX G180W+T, TE G180W, TG G180Z, Piazza 4ZC1T +more
Ethan and I had a big chat about all of this tonight, and we're keen to kick start things as mentioned above. I'll confess to being pretty lax in regards to the club for the last few years.. but it's time for change! Here's a quick, minimally edited, 3AM tack-up of our brainstorm.

Please note that despite me being a mod, my limited PHP knowledge means I don't know how much (if any) of this is possible, but here goes.

There are a few minor points to start off, like, much as Dazz's coupe is an awesome car, why do we have a WA Gemini as our logo? We have good ones in SA too! That led us to a thought - why not have the logo cycle daily, or per-click, or weekly? It'd keep things interesting. Perhaps we should make a motivational point to feature cars that have attended a cruise (perhaps with exceptions for functional track-only cars like Ant's TX that aren't rego'd).

Perhaps images hosted via GemiSA's attachment feature should be watermarked with the club's name and link, to help promotion of the namesake. This one sounds hard, but there may be a way.

One big point I want to make is that there are faaaar too many sections/subforums for our given number of members/posts. We have about thirteen (?) forums and/or subforums, yet as an example, overnight last night we had about five new posts. Noone's going to open every subforum in case there's one new post - it's unnecessary clicking, and I for one find myself only checking a few specific sections for this very reason. Here's my proposition:

We should merge Technical Reference and How To's,
Merge Technical Chat and Gemini Chat
Merge the three Cruises sections (we can sticky the next "big" cruise as it approaches)
Rename "The Pub" Off Topic to keep things clear
Rename "Reception" something like Club Chat, or Club Discussion, to encourage everyone to contribute
Make the gallery for non-Geminis, a sub-forum inside the one Gallery (since we only have like, seven threads in non-Geminis)

That's pretty hard to digest, so here's what the main screen would look like:

Club Chat / Club Discussion (currently Reception)

Gemini Chat (technical)

Off topic

Gallery (SUBFORUM for non-Gemini)

Cruises, meetings and events (sticky the upcoming official, and if it gets flooded, we could make a subforum for other clubs and/or motorsport events)

The trader (leave as is)
- Gemini Cars
- Gemini Parts
- Other cars & parts

It'd make the sections worth opening, and the website less confronting and more inviting. I think it might also be an idea to have a splash screen, similar to OzGemini, where the "home" page has some nice pictures, recent posts, and any bulletins worth reading (ie the next cruise or club meeting). Maybe we could even do feature cars.

The biggest point though, is that we need to boost the user interaction and community feel. Noone posts, because noone replies, because the site's a bit of a labyrinth and there isn't enough of us to fill it, and because of that we don't really "know" more than a small handful of other members. So how can we boost interaction?

I say we do a twice-yearly newsletter. I'm quite happy to do the typing, although suggestions for it would be good (ie significant events) and we'd need to headscratch a bit to make it work, especially without annoying people (ie an option to disable it). I say we have quarterly "big" cruises, Ethan's been doing a great job of these, but having the quarterly structure will help boost attendance (hopefully!)

Once we sort the above, then I think it would be worth boosting the "marketing" approach again - stickers, flyers, business cards. Agreed with the sticker/copbait tradeoff, but if we make them available at least, it can't hurt. I say we hold off on that til we have the club structure organised, so we retain the new members, rather than the club being the doormat it so often is. Community boards will be a great place to spread the word, again pending time I'm happy to do the work here, I'm fairly nifty with Photoshop when I can be bothered.

Last of all - I think we have to put to bed the age old question of "are we Just Gems of SA, or GemiSA?" Lots of the older members (myself included) get caught calling it JGSA, and get grumpy about the new name, but I'm the first to admit that attempting another change may do more harm than good.. So if anyone has any thoughts regarding the domain, now's the time. Supposedly www justgemsofsa.com is available.. but like I said, more harm than good?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:46 am 

Car(s): TX G180W+T, TE G180W, TG G180Z, Piazza 4ZC1T +more
I might just add that we have had 74 different registered members visit the site in the last month. If all (or even half) of those people were posting, interacting, coming to cruises... we'd have a pretty damn good club. If we can find a way to keep everyone interested, involved and enthusiastic, we can get things happening all over again :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:44 am 

With the cycling of banner images, that's easy as. I had a website a few years ago and had the same thing. Every time the page got refreshed, the banner image changed. I think you can even google the PHP script for that :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:26 pm 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
Yep, the main issue is time. I'm happy with more/different banner images, but I'm more the coder type instead of the gfx type, but I'm able to put them up there and implement the cycling once the images exist.

I agree about the sub forum shrink, and can do that. You can hit view active topics at the top then right click and open in new tab the topics you want to check out but the shrink would still be in order.

I think we should be gemisa. We had to change the site name when the previous owner wouldn't sign it over and let it expire and it was lost, but gemisa is short and sweet and easy to remember. (And its in my name and I'm committed to keeping it alive)

Social events like the bbqs we never have and the cruises are good, but I don't have time to organise them. Happy for ethan or eli (or anyone with a venue) to handle that.

Stickers are good. Can you organise that Pavlos?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:35 pm 

She said she could in the new year. Just get some ideas and she can ask the place she got hers done. Either word and/or pics. Both sound cool lol.

I think the GemiSA name kind of separates us from the bad image Gemini drivers have from a few years back of burnouts at Pelican point and stuff like that (no matter how cool it was back then lol). So I vote for GemiSA.

I was actually thinking of having a bbq + small cruise for my birthday next year if I can sort out by back yard early next year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:02 pm 

Car(s): ZZ/Z sedan, TD SL/E coupe.
You guys are welcome to use any pics of my cars if they are suitable for banner re-circulation.

All these Ideas are good! I'm all for promotion of the forum and 'club'.

BBQ would be a great way of members meeting and greeting. This is what Ethan and I were trying to accomplish with the cruises earlier in the year. Admittedly, I've been busy with reno's as the birth of our bub quickly approaches so I haven't been around the forum or cruises as much. But I am still keen so if there is anything I might be able to help with PM me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:57 pm 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
Ive done half the sorting/moving of forums. Can someone enlighten me as to what the difference between Gemini Chat (technical) is and Technical chat? I can really think of one, cant even think of different purposes to put in the description, so If I merge them, then Tech Ref is the only thing in the category, so probably should scrap that category as well and put tech ref. in the main section? Or is that going a bit too light on? Or move gemini chat to the tech section? Thought I do think at least untill we build up in size a bit, fewer but more active areas is probably an improvement.

I also unsticked the "what do you want" thread by the original site founder as this one can replace it and be kept alive by posts, and removed the remaining topic images as IMHO they looked a bit crap and unsuited, and a but half assed since there wasnt one for each category. Lets get this improved 2012 version of the site going! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:46 pm 

Car(s): IPRA G180 TX coupe, TURBO TX COUPE
Me think good ideas. Me like. Me post via HTC

definately thin the forum down, not enough members to keep the topics active.

I think a lot of us are busy with work, kids wives + gemini repairs thus making daytime cruises and meetings difficult. Perhaps an bi-annual night pub meeting and cruise would work (ie a Monday night public holiday) or doing a cruise to a practice day at Mallala for those with track cars ; )

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next