Change font size
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Site promotion
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:46 pm 

Car(s): Blown V6 Panelvan
MR ZZZ wrote:
You could re-form the club although it's a lot of hard work, You need a president, vice pres, treasurer, secretary, historic rego officer (if you go that way) club committee members etc etc.

I like this idea.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:34 pm 

Car(s): ZZ/Z sedan, TD SL/E coupe.
Kingsley, so do I. I'd love to see the club reformed.

But would there be enough interest in 2-3 years time?

I dunno..........

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:48 am 

Car(s): Blown V6 Panelvan
I attempted this a few years back but had no success. I live in Murray bridge as you know and the biggest problem i had was getting people to come to meetings, even tho they were held in different locations at different members houses around Adelaide (still over an hours drive each way for me). I had a plan worked out but couldn't get the support and there was far too much criticism from members who barely left their computer. I resigned from the role of president and nothing more ever happen with the club.

There were things underway. Business cards were made and purchased, i still have a heap of them. But what i believed the club needed was some form of cash flow to help promote it. This would include a banner made and set up by the cars every time we pulled up somewhere in a group, even if it was for a feed stop at Hungry Jacks. Shirts, hats, stubby holders, business cards. Sausage sizzle days to raise funds and club awareness, raffles. Gold coin donation in exchange for cruise maps. Paying membership with members discount to outings like a club visit to Birdwood Motor Museum (which has been done in the past with great success), exclusive member discount books provided from local and major business for a trade in advertising on our banner and business card/cruise fliers. Members would have received as higher status on the forum, with possibly better picture posting privileges, access to basic cruise routes and a separate members chat section.
This forum also needs money to stay running.

In return we would have to provide club events so we can enjoy our cars. Cruises are a great idea but it needed more and we had to be prfesional in what we did, we needed the comitment of people to show up when they said they would, rather than a planned day to only have 3-5 cars show up, big joke on the club. There was talk of a club dyno day and ofcourse members would get benifits there. Exclusive Just Gems of SA track days in Tailem Bend. Simple relaxed outings like a day of beach cricket with the cars set up displaying the banner and a happy working club that the family could get involved in because as some of us are getting older, we have to include our familes. Low key show and shine days once a year, set up in a mayjor park, just to be seen as a club.

Simple events planned once a month can go along way but it takes a lot of commitment and support/faith from other members in the club. After all, an elected president is who you want to make your club work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:33 am 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
Yeah, it would be nice to be a real club, and even nicer to get the benifits like historic rego (not that many of our cars would count as unmodified) but it is a lot of work, and frustrating when you put in the effort and things go wrong. We could just call ourselves a club, say 'no sorry were not a real club' when people ask (but at least we get their attention) and going with the bbq idea and so fourth that'll help build things up socially and be some fun with our cars.

The forums have really come alive lately :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:32 am 

Car(s): TE Sedan, VT Commodore Wagon, VT Calais.
I was briefly on the committee back when it was the SA Isuzu Club, helping organise cruises. I'd be keen be apart of something bigger again (and without a boonger piece of crab this time lol), though with my working hours being 'about' 4pm-midnight Tues-Sat the only free days I will have is Sunday and Monday evenings.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:07 pm 

Car(s): TE Sedan, VT Commodore Wagon, VT Calais.
Also, maybe having a site with a bit more than a forum like the GemsWA site might be a bit more appealing to new members too.

I'm going to try and post a new workshop article every week too, might be able to generate more interest in the technical side of Gemini's as well. At the moment I have a parcel shelf one, easy fix for seat belts that fail to retract and a stocky looking radiator overflow bottle install.

http://www.gemswa.com/phpBB3/home.php

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:45 pm 

Car(s): TG Gemini,TE gemini,79 coupe,78 TD pano,TG racecar
I've gone into the Gemswa site a few times and reading thier posts you can tell that they are a bunch of good blokes that respect and have time for one another and thier gemini's. You see the size of their cruises and WA dose'nt have that many more people than we do here in SA that they take the time out to get involved. We organise a cruise there sounds like a fair bit of intrest and then in the end only 6-10 cars rock up. Thats ok but the old days you were able to organise a cruise that size in a day or 2. Its all about how much you put into the club is what you get out of it, but it can't be done with just 1 or 2 people. But it can start with 1 or 2 people, that put the effort in 2 get it going and then its up to the other members to back them up and put the effort in aswell. If anyone wants to make a stand/start then i am right here waiting to help. I've gone from once hatting Gemini's to help building up my misses gemini, to now its one of the family. So I'll fight to keep the site going cos i enjoy these cars and have made some good mates out of this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:11 pm 

Car(s): 1982 TF/TG SL (Daily Project)
I'll try to do my bit! Only relatively new, And only met 2 people. But I'm very keen to meet all of you as I plan to stick with my gemini for as long as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:28 pm 

Car(s): ZZ/Z sedan, TD SL/E coupe.
OK, got an idea.

After talking with some of the guys on the cruise today I thought it might be a good idea to have a monthly meet/cruise. Same time and location each month, meet for an hour or so followed by a cruise. The cruise route can be decided on the night/day or in the preceeding week.

Meeting point should be somewhere reasonably central to the CBD (I know this makes it hard for the hills and country members) but seeing as though most of our members are from the city and that most of our cruises start in town I thought this to be the most logical point.

By having a regular meet at the same place there's no need for one single person to organise it, it will give us an opportunity to check out each others cars and for all forum members to catch up and to introduce themselves outside of the forum walls.

What are other peoples thoughts? Night? Day? First weekend of the month? End of the month? Mid month? Friday, Saturday, Sunday?

Also, although it would be essentially Gemini's, other cars should be made welcome as long as they are associated with the forum.

so, thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:30 pm 

Car(s): tg gemi sedan , TE panel van
i think that is a good idea maybe ingle farm shopping centre for a meeting point ?? and id have to say a sunday cruise in the middle of months :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next