Change font size
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 13   [ 127 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: My 1982 TF SL Project - IS ALIVE!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:23 am 

Car(s): 1982 TF/TG SL (Daily Project)
Hey all.
A few months ago, I picked up this TF for $2000. It has a 1.8L head on a 1.6L block, Twin 36 IDF webers, Double Row Timing chain. Basically small performance mods because it was used a a hill climb car.

The engine in it at the moment has done 128k Km's. It came with a whole trailer full of spares, including a custom bonnet, spare 1.6L engine, 4 spd, Hubcaps, 4 re-treads and 4 stockies. Also a few boxes of little things like alternators, starter motors, fuel flaps etc.

Anyway, It was all well and good for about 3 weeks, I drove it to school, work and just for cruises but the carbies we're out of sync. (I knew this when I bought it, but it didn't worry me because after all... It's only my project car). As I was sitting in HJ's Drive-thru, it started spitting back through the carbs violently! and then gave up. I got pushed out and parked in a car park. At this time I was on my break at work, and needed to get back, But at 11 I came back to the car and tried desperately to start it. The battery must've been on the verge of going flat before it kicked into life, However, If I ever went below 2500 revs, the fuel started spitting back and felt like I was going to stall, So... That was a fun drive home -___-.

Anyway, I'm sure you'd all rather see pics for now.

Just playing around with an effect on the camera

The day after the "incident" occured, I took the carbies off and havnt touched them yet as I havnt dealt with webers before, and need to wait for father to have some free time.

The webers need new Jets, Lever Arms, Air Filters, Chokes and Linkages.. So While I wait for dad to do some of that, I decided that I might as well make use of the car being off the roads, So I decided to re-trim the ugly brown interior and install a sound system. I thought it'd be easier to make my own custom door cards, So it was off with the old and start preparation on the new :)

And here's the progress so far with the new door cards.

Havn't neatened it up yet, But You get the idea.

Little Dog came down and decided to help me with a bit too.

So far, that's all the progress that's been made, I'll post up some more when possible.
Let me know what you think.

Cheers, Cazz.

Last edited by Cazz on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My 1982 TF SL Project
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:46 pm 

Car(s): TE Sedan, VT Commodore Wagon, VT Calais.
Looks pretty straight mate. Pretty sure 161 & 180's had the same heads, just 200's were different. I'm keen to see what you come up with for the door trims :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:37 am 

Car(s): 1985 toyota corona avanti sedan
Good luck with your project, good to see people restoring & personalising old cars.
If the door trims for some reason dont workout 4u i have a set of beige one sitting here and alot of other parts for a Tf eg all the wirng looms, straight rhs front guard rust free etc, if u need anything i might have it.
I have parts on the site under MACROFT.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:17 am 

No progress so far on the door cards because alot of my money went down the drain for christmas and alcohol for that whole week, and I worked out the costs I need for speakers, subs, dynamat, re-trim, materials, wiring, head unit, amps etc... and It's more than I can afford to throw around at the moment..

So I grabbed some material laying around the shed and started on the carbies. (Forgot to take pic's of the dismantle, but I remembered before I finished, so here they are probably about 50% done.

Test fit of my new cable pull. (not going to be a full circle, gotta cut out about 2/3s)

New Rose Joints, had to modify them cause the linkage system was sitting too high.

Bad photo, but showing how much lower it's sitting.

Old rod was hexagonal and had custom Rose Joints to fit, so I needed to machine a new rod to fit the new Rose Joints.

Old Cable Pull, You can see why I started from scratch.

When I took the filter off, the only thing holding it on was the clips, (These holes we're empty, so I had to make the hole 1mm wider cause the thread was fkd.

New Filters, the old ones were shithouse.

Carbies should be done in the next few days, Just need a few more things like Modify the Cable Pull and Get a LH taper to make a rod end for the rose joints connecting the lever arm and linkage.

Then comes the fun bit.. Tuning!
:cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:18 am 

Linkage System 98% done!, Just need to mod the cable pull Cause the rod hits it at about 2/3s throttle.

This is it Hitting at about 2/3s, Going to cut out a bit of the circle in the next few days.

Next on the list -

Tuning
Grille Swap (Cheers Brohawk)
Door cards (When my Speakers arrive! :D)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:00 pm 

Car(s): TG Gemini, Holden Cruze SRi
nothing like nice new linkages ot keep a multi carb setup even!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:20 pm 

Another Update.

Today, I finished my Choke Plates and Roughly sprayed them black.

And got a BIG SURPRISE! Dad went out for a bit and came home with a set of Fusion Powerplant 6.5" splits and a 12" sub! It was better than christmas! He knew I'd been looking for a while and got them sent from NSW. He said I can pay him half and call it even. So now I only need another set of splits, 1 sub and the 2 amps! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, The TG Grille is on and looking sexy!

And I've ordered in 2 rebuild kits for the webers, cause the gaskets and seals are Fkd.

Tomorrow will hopefully see the carbies stripped and ready for cleaning, then when the gaskets come in I can start getting ready to Jet!

Before

After

Both (Now painted black)

Lights in

Grille on

Close-up. No badge as of yet, Gotta stick it on soon.

New Speakers! :), Came with two Grille options, which do you guys prefer?
This one..

Or this one?

Adjustable Tweeter :)

Sub

STICKERS! (oddly enough, different colours)

Also, Anybody know how to wire this shit? I have a basic idea but really don't wanna blow anything up cause it'd be a massive waste of money.

The speakers came with Crossovers, but the Sub didnt. (If that helps)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm 

First of all, I forgot to charge the camera, so I didnt get any pic's of the carbies before they got cleaned, but I whacked it on charge and got some after's :)

So Stoked with how they turned out, If only I took some decent before's so you can see the different.

They're almost ready to go back on the car, just need to tidy it up a bit and weld a nut in the extractors ready for tuning.

Mock Assembly.

Car should hopefully be running next Sunday :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:46 pm 

Car(s): TE Sedan, VT Commodore Wagon, VT Calais.
Mmm those webers are hot. Car is looking good mate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:04 pm 

Cheers mate.

Getting some new re-upholstered 240z front seats for.... $0! Dad's mate comes round to use the machines and this is his way of paying him I guess. Not complaining though :D

Hoping for a miracle that they'll fit straight on, But that won't happen :(. Should see them going in in roughly two weeks or so. :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 13   [ 127 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next