Change font size
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 8   [ 79 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Turbocoupe's Improved Production TX COUPE
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:40 pm 

Car(s): IPRA G180 TX coupe, TURBO TX COUPE
Sure is electronic ignition, it's the only way to go for a high reving motor, Points = bin

On another note, I also welded on a couple of bits so that I can wire lock my sump plug in place, to prevent nasty oil spills, so probably a good one to do on a spare sump if you get the chance. Next wll be a wire lock for the gearbox plug and diff drain plug.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:57 pm 

Update Time:

Yes over two years has passed since I went for a practice day at Mallala, one year has passed since I blew the engine up in the driveway.. these things take time when you have kids, the price we pay for some lovin..

anyway, since my last drive around Mallala where I wasn't happy with the handling or power I have completed the following upgrades:
-Double sway bars front
-slotted A arms for camber
-oil cooler
-electronic ignition
-38/38 DGMS weber
-Welded in X bars for the drivers door
-mounted FIA kill switch
-fuel regulator
-surge tank
-remounted seat 30mm lower so my head clears the roof!
-new roll cage padding

-Rebuilt the G180 now 2.0lt, 9.7:1 compression, balanced, with mild cam + some porting adjustable cam gear and other goodies... ; )

Other issues I have fixed that have been pissing me off for a while were:
-Wipers now wired up
-Horn now works
-Lights now work

-Next Is a tow bar for my VY Wags then off to a dyno tune and then a hill climb : D

Post pics later!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:45 pm 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
Sounding good. Any plans for a malalla practice day? might see you out there or at colingrove in the near future :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:27 pm 

Of to get the carby sorted with a dyno tune and then a wheel alignment, then I think a track day (preferable) or hill climb to give it a shake down and sort out any gremlini's.

I decided not to set deadlines for my self, short cuts get taken when you do this and reliability suffers as well as many late or sleepless nights.... "Slow and Steady Wins the Race".....more like "Slow and Steady will not break down on the way to the race track"

Let me know if you have a date in mind, would be good to have a couple of Gems on the track to compare handling ect even if some are slightly over powered....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:02 pm 

Im a bit the same with date, the next track day after my mates cars are ready.. hehe.. but in theory they're all getting close, so we'll see.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:18 pm 

So, update time, if anyone still visits this site...

I took Friday the 7th off to go to the Mallala practice day with the gem, all modifications have been completed, car was loaded on the trailer the night before with a charged battery and a Gerry can of premium.

Long story short I was amazed at the cars handling with the new tyres and suspension setup, very easy to control and very forgiving coming in and out of the hair pin, it seems the double sway bars work well.
The power increase was immediately noticeable from60 Bhp to 90 meant I was able to ring out 170 down the back straight with plenty more as I backed off at the kink and braked way to early..... I was in the process of catching up to an evo( street reg) when the gem gave a cough and started running rough, I backed off the throttle and made it to the pit Lane where it stalled and I had to wait for a tow back to the pits....

I was unable to start the car after this, It had trouble turning over and wouldn't fire, I suspected some nasty stuff had happened and really doubted my engine building skills. So I loaded it on the trailer after some basic investigation and called it a day after 10 laps..

Long story short the failure was caused by the fire ring on cylinder 4 failing through minuscule piston contact causing it to crack blowing out into the coolant gallery and then drawing hot coolant in.. Not happy.. No other mechanical issues were found.
Any way new head gasket on order to fit correctly + I may think about getting a chamfer put on the pistons to ensure this can't happen again.

Till next track day or hill climb !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:47 am 

Car(s): 1977 Tc Coupe
Ouch that sucks mate! Good to hear the car had some good form though! Thanks for showing me the car on Thursday night too! Loved it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:15 am 

Car(s): TX Coupe
Yeah I loved this thing when I picked up those bits the other day. It's a petty about the head gasket, but at least it is fixable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:05 pm 

Cool, sounds like other than the obvious setback it really coming together as nice package. Hope to see it out there or collingrove or wherever sometime.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 8   [ 79 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8