Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Site promotion
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:46 am 

Car(s): TX G180W+T, TE G180W, TG G180Z, Piazza 4ZC1T +more
Okay so I've been playing with this thought for a while, and figure I may as well voice it. Call it planting a seed before bed (heh).

Five years ago JGSA was booming. Plenty of members, particularly active members. Big cruises, lots of support, most of the members became mates who knew each other in person, helped each other out, followed one another's projects etc. And to boot, the for sale/wanted sections moved a whole lot faster, with a lot more interested parties. There was a real sense of community, like everyone was helping each other out towards common goals.

Now half of the GemiSA forums are dead, limited to a skeletal few posters with long delays between posts. The for sale section moves slowly, and prices jump all over the place due to a tiny member pool for supply/demand. Our networks of support and local services, vendors, parts etc are limited by the diminishing active member pool, and the average member's lucky to have met a handful of others on the site, if at all. Barely anyone knows about each others' projects, let alone contributes ideas or a spare hand.

The main culprit in my eyes is a lack of publicity. Of course it's easy to blame the change in domain, but I think that was just the beginning. Back when I joined, Scotty, Terry, Rimma, Ash, Hones, Kingsley and all of that lot were really active, both on and offline, in the Gemini community. Stickers happened, word of mouth happened, spotted cars were hounded until their owners joined! There were lots of new members, friends of friends etc, and it was seen as a fun and vibrant community, even for some people who didn't own Gems... Now, the general attitude is to pick at each other's faults rather than trying to bridge gaps in age, maturity, personal car preference etc.

Don't get me wrong, I consider several members of this site great mates - Ethan, Tyla, Antus, Morgan, BJ, just to name a few. Kingsley's still about from time to time, as is Rimma, and Ash has come and gone once or twice. But I don't know half the people on here, most of whom seem to come and go within a few months. Perhaps that's a car thing, or perhaps it's because there's nothing to keep them interested here.

So how can we:
-Get more members for GemiSA
-Keep members interested in their car and the club
-Build a sense of community
-Fix the shitfights and bridge the gaps between members?
-And keep in regular contact?

Some ideas I have include:
-Business cards again - make a challenge to "business card" (even written notes!!) as many Geminis as you can in a month, keep a tally a-la "spotted thread" to keep it fun
-Weekly gallery thread posts, where practical? Update your car, check on other people's, once a week to keep the ball rolling
-Organise a big meet'n'greet cruise, possibly a club dinner, or just one based around chatting to each other, getting to know each other, getting heads under bonnets, rather than just meeting up, giving each other a discreet nod and driving from point A to point B. And whilst I've been slack as hell on the cruise front, let's try to PM people, prod people, personally invite people and come along to one big one.
-Stickers - let's just give things a little while to get going again... I mean, right now I wouldn't bother putting a GemiSA sticker on my car! What would the person find if they came on here? But we need to make the club a club again, not just a forum... and then we need to get the word out, which means STICKERS ON OUR CARS!
-New/younger members - if someone says something stupid, annoying or hilarious, it's tempting to flame, right? Except, on a small forum, one flame just doesn't get put out. It takes over and burns the forum until there's nothing left. I'm all for hilarious flames, but we just can't afford it with our member levels. Where possible, perhaps we should voice our irks with someone's perhaps immature or closed-minded views by offering a continued voice of reason. If we're all friends, we can smile and shake our heads when we disagree, instead of tearing the forum down the middle.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Site promotion
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:45 pm 

Car(s): 1985 toyota corona avanti sedan
I know i dont own a gemini anymore, but i think what your trying to do is a good idea. I have seen how a club can have alot of members 2 survive go into a self destruct mode due 2 people going off & doing thier own thing or money & spare time become an issue.
I'm originally from Bendigo Victoria. I will give u an example of a club going from full strength of club having know problems 2 a club losing members due 2 all sorts of things.
I used 2 belong 2 a canoe club, just using 2 & 3 man canoes it was great fun for famlies, then all of a sudden 1 person got a kayak then another person which started the clubs downfall because we started to do things not in a team way or family way,we where lucky to fall back onto the sport of canoepolo for a couple of years,we had 100 members then it dropped down 2 30 members due to injuries & some members had job transfers etc.
But with a little bit of trail & errors we got the membership back up 2 1000 members, you can do things toget a club back on track but u need the support.
I'll get back 2 u with a few ideas that may help things get back on track with this site etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:29 pm 

Car(s): Blown V6 Panelvan
From my point of view, its more of a change in life now. As you know i still have the gem but it would be nothing for it to go unregistered for 12 months at a time or longer and even then it may only get 3 months put on it. I have different interest in life these days and work commitments keep me at bay also. Id have to say that the main thing that stops me bringing it out on the road is the hoon laws. Even tho my car is legal and engineered, i am still scared for the fact that all it takes is one report from a little old lady on the side of the road with her grand son that thinks i am a hoon because my regency approved auto has chirped on a gear change or the blower makes a noise or just for being a bright orange older car. I dont have a leg to stand on, i then have to prove my innocence after having my car taken from me. Having said that tho, the gem is currently registered and it does get a bit of a drive on warm days.
Being 32, most of the gemini members that i have come to know over the years have also ended up down the same road as me with different priorities in life. Some of them still have their cars but it would take a huge effort or money to get them back out on to the road. A well planned committed annual event like scottys beach cruise would be one way of getting people together, even if it was once a year. Another way of reviving the car scene would be to group up with the bikies and blow Mike Rann out of Adelaide.

Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:56 pm 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
You definately have some points. Heres my thoughts:

1) size of the site: I suspect geminis are close to the bottom of their popularity levels at the moment. Having spoken to the Bellett guys, I think geminis are about where Belletts were 10 years ago. Little interest, club sizes dwindling. To most people they are a crappy old car, and not quite old enough to be respected as much as they will when they get even older again. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but its still worth considering.

2) Flames: Some time ago I was less active on the site, and there were fewer moderators. On a couple of occasions I found out 2 week shitfights had been going on when I got PMed about them. I should have been more active and stopped them much sooner. It did do damage to the forums, but Im trying (reasonably successfully I think) to put a stop to it as soon as it begins these days. Also Eli, you are a trusted member of the site, and I have given you moderator access, so feel free to tell people to quit it, and delete abusive and trolling posts if need be.

3) I still reckon an occasional club BBQ would be good. Perhaps in a park (where there is a car park so we can sit near our cars), perhaps at someones house. It'd be good to eat and drink and talk gemis in quiet relaxed environment.

4) cards/stickers/publicity: Feel free to go for it. I dont have the time, and Im happy to just let the forum tick over on its own and let people find us through word of mouth and google (although we rank prettly low due to our small size). gemisa.net stickers would be good :- I know the stickers of the old domain are seen around the place, and I think Mooey made some?

5) The cruises have been good of late.

Thats all ive got for now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:06 am 

Car(s): LC Torana, TD Gemini SL Sedan, TX Gemini SL Sedan
I reckon the site's great. I think there just isn't so many Geminis and thus owners interested in them on the road anymore. Things that would have come easy 10 years ago are now harder with a shrinking pool of enthusiasts. I think it's just a reflection of that. All of the ideas sound good though. It's almost at the point that setting up a proper Gemini club in SA again with occasional meetings and importantly historic rego opportunities for all of us etc could become worthwhile.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:23 pm 

Car(s): IPRA G180 TX coupe, TURBO TX COUPE
I think the demo graphic of Gemini owners is changing, as well as the financial status and what younger people can afford to drive.

I have some 20 year old something mates that all drive BA falcon's or VE commodores sheerly because they have the disposable incomes and can afford a car the "goes hard" with out the effort of getting dirty knuckles, they are also of the generation that has started to grow up driving cars with efi, power streering, auto's and ABS.

So something that is 35 years old, rusty and "unreliable" and needs constant attention is highly undesirable.

Which brings us back to the hard core group of die hard enthusiasts, who love working on the car and who enjoy making it part of themselves.
So we may be losing a few members, but we need to encourage the quality ones who want to stick with the Gem / Isuzu to stay.

X2 on the stickers, business cards and maybe we could/ should put the feelers out to other SA Isuzu Bellet owners, Motor-kana clubs or the sporting car club of SA for some joint group activities.

X2 for a BBQ meet some where, maybe like in Burnside or Tusmore park, central to North South East and West?????

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:05 pm 

Car(s): Orange TE 1981
Think vista print an online business will print free business cards. They are on very thin paper/card and have their logo on the back I think, but a free way to have cards printed that will suit our purpose well.

I am not sure if they still do this though.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:06 pm 

Car(s): TE Sedan, VT Commodore Wagon, VT Calais.
I think the site needs to be more 'search engine friendly'.
I did a few basic searches for: sa gemini club, adelaide gemini club & gemini clubs in sa. The site wasn't brought up in search results. If we can get the side to come up easy in searches it will produce a LOT more traffic by people looking for stuff about Gemini's in Adelaide.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:22 pm 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
Thats catch 22, because I think google monitors numbers of posts/members so they can send people too the popular sites. Try delco or delco tuning, its right up there, or bellett gets hit #1 for bellett.net. Those two forums are hosted right here, but I think rate so much higher because of the activity and the sheer amount of content. Both of those are hard to bring to the table for gemisa. Do mention the place in recommendation on other forums etc though, that'll help, but we dont want to look like bastard spammers either, so needs to be in moderation and with good reason.

However I noticed that geminis were not mentioned as much as they could. In some places its gemi and some its just gems of sa, and I guess google isnt necessarily smart enough to know that its referring to gemini cars, so I just changed a couple of topics to make it a bit clearer. Thanks for the suggestion :)

BTW Should I get rid of those icons on the main page?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:03 pm 

Car(s): TX G180W+T, TE G180W, TG G180Z, Piazza 4ZC1T +more
Great response everyone. Tusmore park sounds good, although I haven't been there to sus it out lately.

I've been known to leave notes on ANYTHING - receipts, written in permanent texta, you name it, to tell people about the club. I know it'd be great to have a professional card that reflects well on us, but at this point, just getting the message out there is vital.

An annual event sounds like a damn top idea.

And I'm in agreement with Kingsley and Antus' posts, the demographic is changing - the people who drive them as cheap runarounds, want them cheaper and nastier, the people who want mild performance soon give up and sell on for an easier option, and the die-hard fans become more recluse. The vast majority of my car mates drive Skylines or Silvias; at the meet-ups, parties etc there are people from all sorts of clubs, but I'm betting noone there would have even heard of us, let alone see it as something to talk about, tell people about etc. I think if we can mingle with other clubs more, and at least make reference to GemiSA, it'd help. When I get the time I'll make a signature banner for GemiSA and add it to all the forums I go to. Maybe we should organise a big cruise with other clubs, or make our presence known on "open car" cruises.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next