Change font size
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:50 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: is just gems a registered car club?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:33 pm 

Car(s): 75 TX Coupe, 83 TF sedan, Honda VTR 1000f
You can't get historic rego for a modified car. They need to be stock.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:18 pm 

Car(s): TD Panelvan
well.....this changes everything.looks like ill just have to fork out the extra chash like everfyone else.
thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:41 am 

Car(s): TX G180W+T, TE G180W, TG G180Z, Piazza 4ZC1T +more
That's ridiculous, and who are they to define stock... If you look hard enough, nothing's stock. Holden and Isuzu both built non-stock Geminis, that don't even conform to a specific model..

Man that sucks. I hadn't heard about historic rego til a few months ago, I'd be more than happy to pay annual VIP membership fees if it meant we could get historic rego, but, stock only? That's shite.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:29 pm 

Car(s): LC Torana, TD Gemini SL Sedan, TX Gemini SL Sedan
archangel62 wrote:
That's ridiculous, and who are they to define stock... If you look hard enough, nothing's stock. Holden and Isuzu both built non-stock Geminis, that don't even conform to a specific model..

Man that sucks. I hadn't heard about historic rego til a few months ago, I'd be more than happy to pay annual VIP membership fees if it meant we could get historic rego, but, stock only? That's shite.

Not sure if you ever looked into this further, but my LC is on historic rego and the deal is that your car doesn't have to be totally stock but modifications do have to be minor and consistent with the era of the car. For example if your Gemini has 1970s/80s mag wheels on it or a spolier from that era etc then that is fine. You can also do what you want with the sound system etc. What you can't do is stick in a turbo or make your car into a mock up of another model. It's a bit restrictive but if you want multiple occasional use cars registered at once and don't have money to burn it's the only sensible option.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:29 am 

Car(s): ZZ/Z sedan, TD SL/E coupe.
Do you need to keep a log book of when you drive your LC?

Thats how I understand it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:05 pm 

MR ZZZ wrote:
Do you need to keep a log book of when you drive your LC?

Thats how I understand it.

Yes that is correct. You can only drive the car a maximum of 90 days in the year and before every trip you have to fill out the log book to give a brief explanation of the trip ie "travel from Suburb A to Suburb B" etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:02 pm 

Car(s): ZZ/Z sedan, TD SL/E coupe.
Thought so. I'm involved in a club up here in the hills mainly to do with old tractors and trucks and that's how our historic rego works.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:34 pm 

OK I have found out that there is going to be some major changes to the historic rego and club rego rules in SA next year as follows:

-Only 1978 or earlier cars are going to qualify. At the moment any 30 year old car is eligible but that will no longer be the case and the date will stay at 1978 until it is reviewed which could be years away. If anyone has a 1979 TD or 1979-81 TE and were thinking about historic rego then you must organise it before the end of 2011 or you will be locked out.

- At the moment only 1974 or earlier imports are allowed to remain as LHD vehicles on SA roads. That is being increased to 1978 from 2012. This means we can more easily bring in 2 door Chevettes from Brazil and Opel Buicks from the US if you have more money than you know what to do with.

- Cars from 1978 or older that are modified and would not fit the historic rego rules are most probably going to be allowed to be registered under a different class of club rego in a modified category. It will be limited use(90 days) and slightly more expensive than historic but still a damn lot cheaper than normal SA rego. If you have a modified Gem(s) you drive on weekends only then this could be for you.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:11 pm 

Car(s): TX Coupe
alex.james wrote:
OK I have found out that there is going to be some major changes to the historic rego and club rego rules in SA next year as follows:

-Only 1978 or earlier cars are going to qualify. At the moment any 30 year old car is eligible but that will no longer be the case and the date will stay at 1978 until it is reviewed which could be years away. If anyone has a 1979 TD or 1979-81 TE and were thinking about historic rego then you must organise it before the end of 2011 or you will be locked out.

- At the moment only 1974 or earlier imports are allowed to remain as LHD vehicles on SA roads. That is being increased to 1978 from 2012. This means we can more easily bring in 2 door Chevettes from Brazil and Opel Buicks from the US if you have more money than you know what to do with.

- Cars from 1978 or older that are modified and would not fit the historic rego rules are most probably going to be allowed to be registered under a different class of club rego in a modified category. It will be limited use(90 days) and slightly more expensive than historic but still a damn lot cheaper than normal SA rego. If you have a modified Gem(s) you drive on weekends only then this could be for you.

Good info.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:55 pm 

Car(s): 1982 TF/TG SL (Daily Project)
I'm a member of the Sporting Car Club. Dad went to school with the big boss man, so I grew up around them, and needed to join to enter my hillclimb. Good club, Good people. :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next