Change font size
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: It's Time To Come Back Home...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:29 am 

Car(s): Many Many Many Geminis
It's been a while!

So unless you'd been living under a rock you would have noticed how little traffic the forum has seen in recent times. The single biggest reason for this would definitely have to be the majority shift to social media (in other words, facebook) as the primary means for gem owners to interact and discuss their cars, as well as trading of cars/parts.

Ozgem, along with this forum and many others, have suffered majorly due to this, with only the keenest die hard members sticking around to keep the place alive. Even I'm guilty of largely walking away! Certainly wasn't intentional though :(

However! Over the last few months and weeks it's been increasing apparent how bad Facebook is sometimes with the way it retains information, and with so many different factions and people making their own pages (in short, it's become nothing short of an absolute joke), the Gem community feels very divided and constantly bickering with each other. While back in the bulk Ozgem days and even earlier the occasional shitpost happened, it was much rarer for big arguments to spark up and carry on for so long. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty fed up with seeing it day in day out to be completely honest...

So, with that in mind, I think it's about time we came back to the forum and started to breathe some new life into the place. It has it's weaknesses and flaws for sure, but so does facebook and other sites. I think a good use of the forum is to maintain it as a place for people to come and show off their builds in dedicated threads, and also to store valuable technical guides and information.
The facebook pages are great for reaching people who use only that and nothing else, to bring some of the older generation back to the fold after many years, as well as for buying and selling. So I think linking the facebook side with the forum would be a good move going forward, as we get the best of both worlds, and the inherent flaws of one is compensated by the other. Good idea no?

In any case, I'm coming back for sure this time. It feels good, kinda nostalgic even, just a shame most of my old photos from my threads are gone, but I have so much stuff that has changed since the last time I really was on here. At the same time though, nothing really ever changes it seems...

Who else is back to help dust off the cobwebs? Grab a broom, we've got some work to do!

Post subject: Re: It's Time To Come Back Home...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:53 pm 

Car(s): TE Sedan, VT Commodore Wagon, VT Calais.
My build thread has lost all it's images. I'll have to remake it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:55 pm 

Car(s): TX G180W+T, TE G180W, TG G180Z, Piazza 4ZC1T +more
I'll try to drop by more.

What's everyone been upto? I got the "carrot" drift Gemini back out a few weeks ago after 3-4 years off the track. The new 4ZE1T hammers, but there's a lot of issues to work through.

I'm daily driving a JT191S (AWD turbo Gemini) and changing the gearbox on my Piazza so I can get that back on the road. My G180W twincam TE has been gathering dust, the engine is in and roof lining done, but the rest of the interior needs to go back in as well as all the engine auxiliaries and gearbox. I'm actually looking forward to getting around to that, but I need to finish a couple of other things first.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:51 pm 

Car(s): IPRA G180 TX coupe, TURBO TX COUPE
I'm still here : )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:32 pm 

Car(s): 1977 Tc Coupe
Me too!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:03 pm 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
Yes, the site is still alive. Post your images here, Im personally committed to backups and to keeping it running. You'll note no locally hosted information is missing :lol:

I dont expect it will ever compete with facebook, and I do recommend ozgem, but its good to see some old school hard core adelaide folk still dropping through.

Eli, I spoke to Dave the other day and he mentioned some of your cars (and no interest to buy the $600 FWD isuzu gemini currently or recently for sale - your in the same boat as the rest of us I guess, too many cars!). I do understand. Hows the piazza going?

Turbocoupe, I still check if your at any given practice day when Im out there. Ethan it was a good read of your recentish thread. It looks like the drifting is/has come together. Thats something I might get in to after all at tailem when its finished. Chris, Pavlos, good to see your still here too. I cant believe its been 10 years since I bought the srgem... and that its still going*! hahaha who would have thought :D

Maybe its getting to the time we should actually have that small group hard core gemi enthusiast bbq.

* despite getting kicked off for oil and leak on the most recent track day, and some fuel starvation issues... some maintenance still required viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23&start=92 At least the new axel worked and the pan-hard and new rubber improved stability noticeably.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:26 pm 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
Whos gemi is in this vid? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB82Ni5wvsI

edit: actually, i'll answer that myself. Found via the site on the back windscreen of the camera car. http://iprasa.org.au/driverprofiles/21-jeffmcdonald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:01 am 

Car(s): TX G180W+T, TE G180W, TG G180Z, Piazza 4ZC1T +more
Yeah, too many cars for me! I've seen a few rare later model Isuzus around recently, and there's the JT191 FWD 4XE1 NA for sale at the moment but yeah, too many cars and not enough time or space. The Piazza is getting there at last, it stuffed out the gearbox shortly after getting it all finished and tuned around a year ago, but I had other priorities so it sat there doing nothing. I have finally sourced and swapped out the gearbox, I want to do a couple of other things (lower the front, get shocks made for the rear, fit a high flow cat and better midpipe) before registering it again, but hoping to have that on the road in a few months!

Drifting is great fun and can be done very cheaply and easily with a basic setup. If you're interested in getting out there, yell out and I'd be happy to run you through the ins and outs of getting started!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]