Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: ...And Now For Something, Completely Different...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:23 pm 

Car(s): Many Many Many Geminis
So, I recently let the wagon go to a new owner, and despite how handy the diesel gem is right now, I'm sure one day it'll get defected, or fall apart, or I'll just get sick of how slow it is. The time has finally come to get something bigger, both in size and number of cylinders, so I recently took out a small loan and bought this from a friend down the road for $5000:

Some quick details:

1990 Nissan Cefiro (A31)
RB20E, brand new timing belt, water pump, radiator
Reconditioned R32 Gearbox, brand new extreme clutch
Kei Office coilovers, front strut brace
Autech front/rear bar
16" Mags, 7.5 wide in the front, 8s in the rear.
Pretty much stock everything else

Took well over a week for it to set in, as a Cefiro was definitely not my first choice. I honestly thought I would buy something like a mid 90s Rodeo or a Jackeroo to keep it in the Isuzu family. Much as I love Gems, I realized it was time to grow up a bit and leave them as a hobby/weekend car, or in the case of the diesel, a $500 runabout that I couldn't care less about. I also needed something a little bit more modern, comfortable, and cleaner for driving on special occasions.
So far, the Ceffy seems to fulfill pretty much all my needs in a bigger car, aside from carrying space inside, which the diesel takes care of.

Future plans are very minimal, just tidying the thing up and keeping it presentable. The previous owner painted the wheels, and while I don't mind the style of them bar the colour, they obviously stand out like dog's balls. Not the best thing when driving a grey import in this country... can't decide if I want to find something else or just paint these.

So far all I've done is pick up a genuine manual centre console (this car was an auto converted to manual, with the auto console cut to make room for the shifter) and a slightly modified stock front bar. It's had a bit cut out to make room for an intercooler, and looks a bit rough, so I might clean it up and whack it on, or just get this Autech set painted.
Also picked up a genuine set of Nissan keys, a generic bobtail off Ebay (was only $30, need to start being a bit more careful with what I spend), and will soon be paying for a set of rainshields, roof spoiler, and a S2 grille which looks nicer IMO. Might change tails in the future to S2 items, but for now I don't mind the S1 type.

Long term plans, either RB30E (possibly turbo, as I have a good T3 sitting in the shed I'm not using) or just go straight to a 25DET package with motor and loom. LSD since it's currently an open diff, 5 stud conversion and proper wheels with decent fitment. Thinking SSR SP1s, which I've lusted after for a very long time.
Might also get myself a cheapish bucket on bolt in rails in case I want to take it out to a private day or something :D

...and I just want to point out, I am not getting out of the Gems by any means. The Ceffy isn't getting anything major done to it at all until I've finished the TD and the Coupe.
Wow... it actually seems quite achievable when you're only talking two projects instead of 5+ :P

Post subject: Re: ...And Now For Something, Completely Different...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:07 pm 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
Nice one. Does that ecu support nistune? Would be worth getting a cheap ebay consult adaptor and running a demo version of nistune for diagnostics if it does. I reckon you should just leave it stock, and keep the gems as projects :P Your right about those wheels though, i'd just paint em all the same not so bright colour (black or silver?) easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2P86C-1x3o

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:15 pm 

Not totally sure if I'm honest, this is all pretty new to me. Luckily the guy I bought it off of lives just around the corner and is a pretty big Ceffy nutter, so he's given me permission to go bug him if I have any questions :lol:

Apparently these ECUs and looms are pretty much identical to what skylines run, depending on the motor (if you change to a DET motor, you have to change looms as well, but that's supposed to be mostly plug and play from what I've been told), so I wouldn't be surprised if any tricks for stock Skyline management works with these.

And... it's nice to know someone got the reference :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:00 pm 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
see if the part number is listed here: http://nistune.com/docs/Nistune_board_match_list.xls

that skit is so silly it still cracks me up every time. classic stuff! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:09 pm 

Car(s): SR20 TD panelvan
nice one, atleast now ill know who u are driving around, those wheels r shocking! ahah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:13 pm 

Hmm, it's hard to tell. They list the A31 there several times with the RB20, but they don't specify if it's Sohc or Dohc. I'll have to do some digging when it's light out and see what number is on the casing...

Hones, you should know who I am by now, if I'm not driving this I'll be in the diesel Gem. No way in hell you'd miss that smokey old thing... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:17 pm 

Car(s): SR20 TD panelvan
I've never see u out n about, Ive seen mr zz/z coupe once.
That and ive seen the diesel gem out front ur place when im walking the mutt, uve never been outfront so i cant say hello. I know where to go if i want stockies tho haha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:06 pm 

Car(s): IPRA G180 TX coupe, TURBO TX COUPE
Noice rims !!! not a bad buy but they are a bit of a cop and canary magnet!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:12 pm 

Went down to Sleeka Spares on Thursday, picked up a boss kit so I could fit this I had kicking around:

A bit flashy, but 100x better than the stock item. Was probably the only thing about the driving "feel" I wasn't happy with. The stock seats aren't too bad at all.

Took it on a major cruise out to Keith (about 200km from Adelaide) to help raise money and awareness for their local hospital being potentially shut down due to lack of available funding.
While I was there, I finally got a chance to buy one of these from "The Olds" who were running the cruise:

For anyone who doesn't know what this means, look up drift_pig13 and you'll understand...

Driving this in the hills a bit more (along with someone behind who can watch how the car behaves) I have found my rear shocks are quite poor and the rear is bouncing around a fair bit. Also the Advan R1s on the front have less tread than I originally thought, so it surprised me the other night when I had a minor lock up under only moderate pressure heading into a slow hairpin :?
New tires all around then... great :roll:

Still haven't painted the wheels though, trying to save my money for the Coupe and drift related stuff for the time being.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]