Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Subaru Liberty Blitzen 4th gen
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:01 pm 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
Ive had a 3rd gen outback for quite a few years now. Its been good, comfy, tows sort of but enough to get me to the track, is manual (always a requirement) and has been a decent general purpose car. But, the 3rd gens are getting older and I started considering updateing to something a little newer. Biggest requirements were more power (6 cylinder), manual transmission, and comfy interior. I have had a good run with subaru and would have considered a 4th gen, but once I found out the H6 6 cylinder engine only came in auto that ruled that out.

Then one crazy night searching carsales I found out that was not entirely true. There was a Legacy (Liberty in Australia) 'Blitzen' spec 4th gen with all the good bits, manual, H6, and tweaked up engine which requires premium 98 fuel. Its got 180kw, and 300nm of torque, which is still not comparing to a v8, but is no slouch and would tow better than my existing outback. So I started getting serious. I found one in NSW with only 66,000kms on the clock, which had also had an 1800kg tow bar and a heavy duty clutch installed. The owner claims he was going to tow his boat with it, but the boat was stolen so it hasnt done much hard work.

Then I found this vid of someone in the auto sedan variant hammering around the Nurburgring and realised I had found my car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ig3GKIz_9k

So, here it is! Its every bit as good as I was hoping and Ive never owned a car as fast and well handling as this. :D Im actually a little worried that the tow car will be competetive against my sr20 track gemini.. :oops:

Attachment:
blitzen1.jpg
blitzen1.jpg [ 369.76 KiB | Viewed 4845 times ]

Attachment:
blitzen at the tuckerbox.jpg
blitzen at the tuckerbox.jpg [ 351.03 KiB | Viewed 4845 times ]

Post subject: Re: Subaru Liberty Blitzen 4th gen
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:46 pm 

Car(s): TX Coupe
Ooh baby! Nice work ant! I'm very jealous of this. I have been keen on one of these for a long time. I'd buy one if I was cashed up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:09 pm 

Car(s): subaru,mazda,eunos,suzuki
nice
im on my 4th subaru,atm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:30 am 

I wired my trailer up for the 7 pin flat connector on the car yesterday and did a test fit of the tow setup. Took the track car for a lap of the block, it tows a million times better than the old tow vehicle. This set up makes me so happy :D

Attachment:
blitzen tow vehicle 1s.jpg
blitzen tow vehicle 1s.jpg [ 151.04 KiB | Viewed 4809 times ]

Attachment:
blitzen tow vehicle 2s.jpg
blitzen tow vehicle 2s.jpg [ 164.94 KiB | Viewed 4809 times ]

Also I noticed when I was doing the rego paperwork that according to the build plate it is a genuine B-4 chassis, not just your regular BP, too 8-)

Attachment:
vinplate-s.jpg
vinplate-s.jpg [ 68.71 KiB | Viewed 4809 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:21 pm 

The track car wasnt ready on the weekend, and I was at a practice day so decided to hit mallala with this for some perspective.

It turns out, despite what the blitzen is, the gemi is still waaaaaay quicker on the straights and about the same in the corners. And I have new found respect for track rubber. Hehe. Despite it not being a whole lot of fun, I did get the perspective I was looking for!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]