Change font size
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:15 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 1980 TE Diesel Sedan - Building The Perfect Daily Gem
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:03 am 

Car(s): Many Many Many Geminis
Bought this off Paul for $600 with minimal interior and still defected: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3093

Still runs the 161 with DGV and RB igntion. Will make for a good spare motor. Shell has one very minor spot of rust in the boot that will be easy to plate. Unsure about under the guards, but it apparently passed Regency a few years ago so I should be good there. Will clear it's current items (non-existant camber wear on one tire, new front seatbelts, and minor oil leaks in the engine bay), then see what the full list Regency will give me is.

Planning on combining the good shell (once I clear the defect), with the good running gear, wiring, air con, and possibly interior from this rusty green thing, which I thankfully decided not to wreck/sell: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3494

Aside from that, my plans are...

Hard plastic bars
Round headlight grille
Remote late style mirrors
Basic paintjob in a factory diesel colour, tossing up between Rhone Green again like the rusty one, or "Brandy" like the turbo-diesel Gem up in Tanunda that I test-drove.
Possible turbo/supercharger on the side, overhauled (gaskets mostly) motor, bigger injector pump, new clutch, opened up exhaust and intake
Rebushed front and rear suspension, new balljoints tie rods etc
KYB gas shocks, King lows (already in this one), probably the slotted discs as well once I pull them from the Coupe for it's Commo upgrade.
Diesel spec tacho dash (if I can find one overseas)
Wide 6 slotter Jellies I have sitting, 185s on the back (6.5J), 165s on the front (5.5J)

Basically just making it the best daily I can for as little effort as possible. Nearly everything needed is here, so I won't be spending much more money on it in the near future, just time and effort. Not going to lift a spanner to either for a while yet, got the Coupe to sort out first.

Sorry for no pics, only just got it here yesterday. Will update soon though.

Post subject: Re: 1980 TE Diesel Sedan - Building The Perfect Daily Gem
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:19 am 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
Sounds like a good project. Good luck with it! Will be the only non-green diesel ive ever seen. heh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:02 am 

Car(s): TX G180W+T, TE G180W, TG G180Z, Piazza 4ZC1T +more
Awesome. Would you regionally classify for the Murray Bridge vehicle inspection station? Pretty sure you would. They might be a little easier to deal with than Regency.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:56 pm 

Either that or Sturt I.S, never taken a car through any of them so I'm not sure whether that's possible. Who would I call to talk to about it?

New front seatbelts are already in the diesel, and I have a set of good tires on steelies. Front crank seal leaks though, so that, a good degrease, and probably a new rocker cover gasket will be on the cards at the very least.

Another handy aspect of having this thing here, is if the Coupe can't make it's event deadline in a few weeks, I'll chuck the weldy and a few other good bits in this for the weekend and do the best I can. I plan on gapping my runs since I'll be in street and can ask for it, but obviously I'd rather drive the Coupe on the day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:39 pm 

Pretty much the same number as Vehicle Standards. 1300 882 247 I think it would be for an inspection. Else try 1300 882 248 (Vehicle Standards), I'm sure it's a menu option. In related news, bloody hell, applications to modify take AGES. 6-8 weeks! Still waiting! :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:03 am 

Car(s): TE Sedan, VT Commodore Wagon, VT Calais.
Hachikansai77 wrote:
Another handy aspect of having this thing here, is if the Coupe can't make it's event deadline in a few weeks, I'll chuck the weldy and a few other good bits in this for the weekend and do the best I can.

Do this. Give it a good service and weldy etc and I'm confident this thing would drift well. I'd put another clutch/thrust bearing in though as you'd have better ones laying around. Don't rush your Coupe, it will always be there to drift one day. I'd hate to see what happened with the TD at the last event you tried to get to, happen again and put you off drifting for good.

A few things I forgot to mention when you picked it up:
-Reverse lights need to be hooked up
-Exhaust would need attention before inspection. Baffles coming loose in muffler and its welded (all bent) all the way from the extractors to tip with a resonator after the extractors. Never got around to changing this :?
-That faucet pump in the boot isnt even hooked up. That can come out and I found the wiring tucked behind drivers kick-panel. Never got around to changing that either lol.
-Need different rims for inspection as the fronts are using a spacer plate to fit over the hub.
-Also extractors have a tiny pinhole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:49 pm 

If I do end up drifting it, I wouldn't be worrying about changing the clutch or bearing. It'd be the last time I'd drive the car in that format, and if I ever used the motor again I'd be changing the clutch out at that point.
If it does happen, it'll be a simple case of throwing the Konis in, stiffer rear springs, bucket seats, dished wheel, and wheels and tires, along with the weldy of course.

I moved the diesel here yesterday. Not much else to do while the Coupe has my attention, but I've pretty much decided on going "Brandy" rather than "Rhone Green". Much as I'd like to paint it like the rusty one to carry on it's name, I do intend to paint the Coupe green later on (A6M Zero livery) and I don't want to have two Gems the same colour. Thankfully this thing is very straight, so it will be easy to do a basic overspray, and the colour will suit the styling cues I will be adding to it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:02 pm 

I misread what Paul just wrote, and thought he meant drift the Diesel.... LOL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:49 pm 

Quick photodump:

The "damaged" seatbelt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:59 am 

Time for an update:

Now that the new year is here, it's time to roll up my sleeves and get cracking on this one. The Nats are less than 12 weeks away, and if this thing is going to be ready it's gotta happen now.

After the recent track day last weekend, I made a brief start on stripping the shell, pulling the screens out and such. I cracked the front screen, but it was already damaged and needed to be replaced anyway.

Today, with a friend's help, we got pretty much the entire shell stripped in about 12 hours, aside from the doors.

Pictures tell a better story, so here they are:

As you can see, rather than remove the engine/box, and then the crossmember and front suspension, I decided to remove the whole lot in one go. It was a lot easier than first thought, and made the whole process 10x quicker. Putting it all back in will have to be done piece by piece though...

Every last component on the car has been removed, even the brake and fuel lines. This is partially to make the clean, prep and paint go as smoothly as possible, and also simply because all the bits from the diesel shell will replace the petrol components, just in case there are unseen differences that I'm not already aware of.

The basic plan with the paint job, will be to do the door jambs and the outer body, but not the inside of the cabin or the engine bay. As much as a total respray would be good, it's not feasible due to budget and time constraints. The interior will be red and tan/brown, so retaining a red engine bay and cabin will not be a big deal.

Here are the areas of rust that need attention, either by plating or rust converter.

Rear screen channel

Boot floor on the passenger side

Rear quarter behind passenger side rear door

Lower A pillars

Front sills (on both sides, and appear to have had an attempted repair in the past)

Front screen channel (very minor)

Driver's door where the mirror mounts

Along with these areas, each door has rust ranging from minor to major. I'll need to sand back each one in turn to see which one's are savable.

Despite these areas, the shell is one of the cleanest in original condition I have ever seen, as seen by the "moisture boxes" on the sides of the bay, which are surprisingly still intact! The floor pans, main boot floor, and firewall are all also perfect:

So, from here the fun job of sanding and prepping begins, but the bulk of the remaining weeks will be spent doing this, so I am actually well ahead of schedule.

I also have a potential surprise in store, but I will be keeping that a secret until the last possible moment.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next