Change font size
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 10   [ 95 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: 1975 TX Coupe - Lowdown Styled G200W Drift Gem NOW RUNNI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:52 am 

Car(s): Many Many Many Geminis
So it's been a while since I posted here, which is unusual, but I've been updating my Ozgem thread so anyone who hasn't seen that recently/at all... here's what's been happening:

Cracked it majorly after the wagon fiasco, so started selling off all the bits in my shitpile... I mean collection that I didn't need to make some coin. First to buy a new daily, then to pour into this thing to make it reliable.

Despite a few people being against the idea, I put the twincam setup up as an EOI and quickly had a buyer. Originally the lot was going to go for $2000, including the diesel crossmember and a bunch of little bits and pieces, but then he told me he had a motor of his own that I might be interested in...

Ended up doing a swap, with $600 in my pocket, for this:

G161Z with about 30,000km on it, twin DHLA 40s (was told they were 45s but quickly found otherwise) on a Lynx manifold. Basically a stock motor from what I can tell, maybe a mild cam. Pulled the box off recently to inspect, as well as add some high tensile cap screws, and found it has a H/D clutch and a lightened flywheel.
I have a feeling this might be an early TX motor as well, just going off a few details like the early style exhaust, MSE gearbox and very old-school alternator (which I rather like, although is now gone and getting replaced with internal reg), there is a slim chance this could have an early closed chambered head too.

So, the basic plan is to rewire the shitbox so that it can actually hold charge and run everything properly, relocate everything, weld up the holes, and drop this thing in.
While I'm doing skids and getting proper seat time, I have the G180Z that came from the wagon, that has flat tops, double row chain etc, but needs a new timing case and gasket kit put through it. Then whack a good head and the Dellortos on and do better skids.

I've emailed K to the Mac and quoted up some adjustable swaybars and their camber/castor kit, so that's also in the very near future.

I mentioned earlier about getting a new daily, which was first priority. This time something that was actually what I needed and not something I just wanted (ergo, Cefiro). Ended up getting a Hilux with low kms, fresh paint, towbar etc, so now have the towrig I really needed.
Also got myself a small single axle tilt trailer for a decent price. Not too fancy, needs a bit of work with the wiring and a few other things but is perfect for the Gem and the Hilux to pull it.

Next up was getting the wiring sorted, and after some searching, Ebay struck with this...

Ezywire 18 Circuit loom + Oil pressure, water temp, and volt gauges. Might also get myself a tach from the same guy as I like the style and the price is very reasonable. Was about $280 posted for the loom, and $100 posted for all three gauges.

Feddy 595 RSRs, 195/50/R15. Cost about $250+shipping but will be so worth it. Will actually have proper front end grip. Have now fitted them to the other pair of steelies (will get pics up soon).

After talking with DrewZa86 from Ozgem a fair bit about the design, who has helped me come up with some very cool ideas, I have made a start on the cabin and engine bay to get them up to scratch before I tackle the rewire. Spent a couple of hours chipping away at all the old insulation, then started buzzing back the factory paint/rust mix on the floor pans to find the dead spots.
Thinking either straight black of olive green through the cabin in keeping with the A6M theme.

A little bit of plating to do

Driver's side only has a few pin holes in the sill and up at the firewall.

Also finally got around to doing this:

The heater tunnel won't be needed, so I'll finish cutting it all out and just plate the lot as best I can.

I've made a tentative goal of August 31st (Winter Matsuri), as the latter half of this year is full of good events, including at least two drift schools, Stadium drift round 3, and hopefully a few practice days. I won't rush though, as that will only leave me where I was back in January.

As mentioned earlier I have been bouncing a lot of ideas around, and one of them is something I've seen to a few Japanese drift cars from time to time. Sometimes you see something along the lines of a mural painted under the bonnet. I like these, and thought about what I'd like to have if I went through with it. After getting an idea in my head, I went searching on the internet and found this:

Absolutely perfect, right down to the pose!

Now, I realize that there aren't many on here who are big Anime fans, if any, but it's one of my hobbies outside of cars, and I like to find ways of melding my interests together when I can. I've seen this sort of thing done a few times with Anime girls in Japan, but none here in Aus. I've also seen small Chibi girls on local cars from time to time (think ISC's logo, or on the bonnet of Drift Cat's old Onevia), but like Ita-Sha isn't really the look I'm going for.

After all this I bought Cameron's sumpguard for his old race shell, and with his help with the rivnuts got it fitted up. Just need to go back and trim it in places so that it suits the early body.

Which brings us to the last week or so. Going down the shortlist:

RS-Rs fitted
More rust cutting
Fuel tank removed (to work in the boot without s*#t catching fire)
Heavy gauge wire + misc bits purchased
Battery box (possibly?) purchased, may be too small so will go the next size up if so. What I have in mind is pretty cool though.
Dummy fitted motor for wiring purposes, need to add a plate on driver's side mount as it's a bit tight against the booster/reservoir.
Pulled the RB dizzy setup off the spare G161Z to chuck in and wire up, will also be taking the internal reg alternator from that one.

Biggest milestone though, after owning a perfectly good working MIG for about 4 years, I finally got off my backside, set it up with some flux core and made my first weld! Was s*#t at first but will hopefully learn quickly and make some serious headway in the coming week or so. Using 1.2mm thick steel, and got some Stainless steel to do the overhead switch panel surround and a few other bits.

Budget wise things will get slightly interesting from this point on, as I have recently acquired a lady-friend, and we all know how that combined with a race-car works out (though to her credit, she is enthusiastic and supportive, at least for now...)

Post subject: Re: 1975 TX Coupe - Lowdown Styled Drift Gem: Back to Basics
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:27 pm 

Car(s): TX G180W+T, TE G180W, TG G180Z, Piazza 4ZC1T +more
Love the mural idea. Hope you have more luck with this engine! This is just a quick reply from me because I have to get back to my Camp NaNo writing ;) Good stuff, hop to it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:04 am 

Been quite busy the last few months. Those close to me or friends on FB would know that I recently started renting a very big shed around the corner from my work, and moved Zero in with a couple of others and the trailer. It's taken a few weeks to get power and a workbench sorted out, but now I'm steadily chipping away at things again.

Just before the move though, I made some more acquisitions (don't worry I have actually been working towards finishing this thing!)

Front spoiler
TD headlights
Nardi Deep Corn (Instant Drift Cred!)
Piazza remote shifter, although probably not for this build. I also got myself a rodeo remote shifter for $50 recently, so depending on how things go I might play around with them.

Also, just to distract me that little bit more, I've been playing with a motor I eventually want to upgrade to if the 1600 doesn't have quite enough power. It's that G180Z from the wagon that ran hot and lunched a head gasket. I started stripping it down and inspected it proper this week, and have found quite a few good things about it. The bores should only need a quick deglaze, so I'm going to do a basic re-ring and budget rebuild (it's running oversized G200Z pistons so boring it would do much good anyway).

While I was there I had a good look at the head, as it had a twin row adjustable timing chain and, oddly, a decomp shim plate. I've since learned the reason for this was that the head has been massively overshaved.
After finding this out, I scored some brand new H/D valve springs for a later project. When I compared them to the head I removed, I found it already has a set of it's own. An idea formed in my mind, then earlier last week I bought a valve spring compressor, went through a couple of heads I had sitting around doing nothing, and started cannibalizing them...

In the end, I found three heads that I can combine to make a pretty nice little setup.

Head #1 - Good condition bigport I picked up recently. Minimal corrosion and machining/facing, but stock valves, springs and ports
Head #2 - The aforementioned overshaved head. Smallport with some corrosion, stock valves, mild porting and the H/D springs
Head #3 - Scrap smallport head with severe corrosion, blown out no.4 chamber, major porting work, and steel valves. 43mm inlets, 36mm exhaust.

So the good bigport, cleaned up with new valve seats cut, the larger steel valves, and H/D springs, along with a port job I'm going to try myself, should yield something pretty special which will cost pretty much nothing, apart from $100 or so from the machine shop. Then fitting this to the oversized G180Z, with it's 87.5mm flat top pistons, should bump the compression up a fair whack. Add this together with a nice cam, the sidedraughts plus a decent exhaust, and the end result should get at least 100rwkw for a total build cost of maybe $500 max, since I have pretty much everything already here. Not too shabby.

So, I'll chip away at that when I get bored :lol:

Getting back to the move, after that was all done I started seriously attempting to fix the rust in the firewall, and so far the steepest learning curve I've experience is not to weld galvanized steel :lol:
In my defense, I am a total noob and completely self taught at this point, aside from reading and some second hand advice I got from online friends here and there. I'm improving quickly though, and am happy to finally be able to do all those little jobs I would otherwise have been scared or unable to attempt.

The last two nights have been the most productive. Aside from the firewall, I started on the rear tip for the exhaust, deleted the battery tray and mounted the custom rad overflow setup in it's place, modified a few things with the aesthetics of the front end, started redesigning my seat mounts, began work on the switchgear panel, and pulled the steering rack back out to be swapped over for another unit (as I have suspicions my lack of castor may be from the rack instead of the upper arms).

No pics of the work this time around, but here are some just before the move happened, when I got my custom decals from Joel @ Burubado Design.

Translates to "Cardboard Bandit"... it's a long story...

Replica Sakura squadron insignias from the MXY-7 "Baka" bomber of WWII. Keeping with the IJN/Zero Fighter theme

Slight plug in Elky's direction... :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:06 am 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
I dont know how I missed this post. Good work. Hows the engine build looking? When are you planning on hitting the track?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:49 am 

At this point I haven't done much to that motor, just left it covered with all the gaskets and new rings to go in. I practiced honing and porting on some spare gear I had sitting around, but need to work at it a bit before I try it for real on this one. The 161 with the dellortos still on it will go in the Nationals Gem and get tuned down at Jazmac/Classic Car at the end of the road. Literally drive 100m and I'm there.
Car is still not going to be done for a while, but I'd like to get it out to JDM X Park or maybe one of the Matsuri later this year. TBH I'm not going to be that focused on it until Tailem Bend is up and running again under Peregrine/Shahin brothers. Fingers crossed the right people have their say and a fair go is given to all motorsport enthusiasts, drifting included.

I'm still working away at rust repairs, learning as I go. Stopped for a while due to moving house again and a few other distractions. Haven't got as much disposable income as I used to so I have be more careful with what I use and what I waste. Having said that, I am being more intelligent with what I buy and what deals I make. Basically spending money to make money on mini-projects... but that's for another thread.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 10   [ 95 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10