Change font size
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 10   [ 95 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1975 TX Coupe - Lowdown Styled Drift Gem
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:53 am 

Car(s): Many Many Many Geminis
Progress has been made!

Pulled the G180Z out, and whipped the rocker cover off the W to have a quick look:

Also fished out the Group A headers and gave them a test fit.

Engine: now mounted!

Looks like it was made to be there... oh wait, it was :P

I was able to get around using plates (the idea of it really didn't sit that well with me) by instead using a wide SOHC engine bracket on the drivers side, which nearly lined up perfectly with the petrol crossmember. On the passenger side, I couldn't swap brackets because the exhaust would foul on it, so I instead used one of the earlier round engine mounts and moved it forward on the crossmember itself. This coupled with some strategic work with the drill bits and grinder means that it now sits pretty much perfect, however next time I think I'll go with the diesel crossmember, so much easier!

Compared the twincam box (MSG 4 with twincam bellhousing that is...) on the left, and the MSE 4 on the right. In the end I needed to re-position the crossmember bracket further "up" the box.

Left crossmember is the one to use, right one came on the twincam's box, and obviously is unsuitable for this Pre ADR TX.

Gearbox went on really easily too, and based on it's position, I will still be able to use the speedo cable with no mods whatsoever.

Fuel: I picked up a standard VL EFI pump on the weekend, which suits my setup perfectly. The surge tank outlet is nearly the same size as the pump inlet, so I won't need a reducer after all. My fuel regulator + gauge arrived today as well, so that side of things is pretty much done, just need to mount it all tomorrow or Wednesday.

Exhaust: the group A headers aren't a bolt in job, but it's not a very big deal. I'm in the process of marking out and cutting to size the mid section to attach to my 2 1/4" straight pipe. I'm thinking of putting a flange on the end of the headers, along with further down to make it all easier to remove, since the underbody is one piece. Hopefully getting it all tacked together tomorrow so that I can make sure it fits before the final assembly. Will be getting a wideband O2 bung fitted as well.

Wiring: I've sat the twincam loom in the bay in vaguely the position I want it all, but I still need to run a few wires here and there, and trace a few others that I can't work out. I have a mate coming over on Thursday who is a wizard with both EFI and twincams, so fingers crossed everything will be ready for it fire up by then.

So yeah, gradually getting there :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:09 pm 

So, Antus came over last Thursday and we spent the whole afternoon/evening getting everything working properly.
Fuel system is all plumbed up. Fuel pump, regulator, and surge tank are all mounted properly. A slight weep was still coming from the return fitting off the reg back to the tank, even after tightening the bejeezus out of the clamp and the fitting, but maybe I'm pretty sure I've got it now.

The wiring took a while, for some reason the 12v ignition source changed from one wire to another. For the moment I have it spliced together just so I can power things up and test, but eventually the twincam loom will run under the dash and everything will be done properly. Was a good feeling getting power to the ECU and seeing the hand controller light up for the first time :D

After that, I sourced the starter wires and power to the coil, and the next day after some more fettling tried the key. Got some sparks, but nothing major. After a little more work I found the plugs were black, so changed those out, set fuel pressure to around 2bar (now adjusted up to about 3bar) and got it firing reasonably consistently, then hit the next wall...

As per this thread: http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/vie ... hp?t=24115 I was having issues with the TPS. After searching, asking around, and testing it I could be fairly sure it was faulty. Unusual, since this whole package was pulled from a running car, but I didn't store it completely undercover for the 2 and a bit years I've had it, so perhaps in that time some moisture got into the sensor and it failed as a result.

In any case, I ordered a new one at reasonable expense, and it arrived at about noon today. I'm very happy with the service EFI Hardware (Where I purchased it from) provided, even if it did cost a bit. I reckon I'll be looking in their direction when I start seriously brainstorming ideas for ITBs on this motor.

Anyway, so I tested resistance across the sensor as soon as I got my hands on it, and got exactly what I was after. By 12:30 I had the wires spliced and it fitted onto the motor exactly as the old one came off.

12:31 - this happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZgNVYsz ... e=youtu.be

I honestly was not expecting it to just start up and run like that, but it shows that this package was pretty much ready to go once the fuel system was set up. The throttle return spring is pretty piss poor, so until I fix that and a few other small things I can't really do much more than this.

Also went ahead and finished up the exhaust today. Even with a pretty beefy muffler on the back it sounds tough! Not bad considering I did the measurements bit by bit, the cuts with a grinder, and got it all welded up out of car. Final product ended up being the headers cut back a bit to 2 1/2" Diameter, same width through the downpipe to a flange, which bolted to my 2" straight pipe. Still need to get an O2 bung fitted, but this will do for now.

Unfortunately it's too late to finish it for the private day, so I'll be taking the red Gem again for one last drive before I tear into it for the diesel conversion. Thankfully there's not much left now for the Coupe, so it should get a shakedown within a month or two if I work solidly at it through the holidays.

Big thanks again for Antus for his invaluable help and expertise, as without it I'm sure this wiring would have taken weeks rather than a few hard days. Also extremely grateful for the opportunity to spend the entire day driving his twincam coupe around, freshly fitted with the Altra9 LSD. Was an incredibly rewarding experience :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:45 pm 

Car(s): IPRA G180 TX coupe, TURBO TX COUPE
Nice work on the twin cam, that's been a truely rewarding project, It give me a lttle more motivation to pull my finger out and get mine crackling again..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:01 am 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
f**k yeah! Awesome to see and hear it running :) :) :) With the TPS its also possible that it took a knock while the engine was being swapped between cars or transported around. I guess it doesnt matter now though! Very happy to assist, this is my kind of project haha.

Also I mentioned the seeping regulator to my mate who has a similar setup and he said proper epoxy resin - the type where you mix up the glue and the hardener then apply can seal it up. He did this to his and its been fine. He said unscrew the fitting, and apply a little to the thread and screw it back in tight and "petrol doesnt seem to evaporate it" and his has stayed sealed like that. Beware that I am not an glue expert and fuel is not something you want escaping in your engine bay, but it might be worth a shot. Just make sure you check it every so often with the engine running if you go that way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:56 pm 

Pretty sure I've got it now man. After I bolted it back up I got some better leverage on it and managed to get another 1/4 of a turn or so. That seems to have been enough as I haven't noticed any more weeping. However if it does continue I'll pull the fitting off and put something on it to seal it up.

Post subject: Re: 1975 TX Coupe - Lowdown Styled G200W Drift Gem NOW RUNNI
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:41 pm 

Had a good day out in the TE, even though it still suffered overheating issues. I'm only more determined to get this one done now!

Getting right back into it the next day, I'm happy with how the motor sits now, so I ran the loom back under the dash, mounted the ECU, relays, and just generally tidied everything up a little.

Before anyone asks, I'll be most likely mounting it on the inside of the dash once the car is completely running. For now I have it where it is so that I have easy access to it for tuning and diagnostics.

I also finally got the engine fan issue sorted out, by spacing it out from the engine pulley with a few extra nuts. However, if this one gives me cooling issues I already have a thermo relay and wiring to suit. Just need to get an adequately sized one.

How I have the passenger side engine mount set up. I took the bracket off today and slotted the hole a little more, to take the strain off it.

Current boot set up, not much but it works. I will be re-running the hoses to make it a bit neater, but this will do for now.

Not bad for $40 off ebay, once you tighten the fittings enough :P

Old vs New, not hard to see the difference this should make. Weirdly they are an awful lot easier to fit, and are designed to be used with normal G series starter motors which is a big plus. No doubt I'll probably go through a few...

Not a bad way to spend Christmas eve. I've just refitted the rad and put some coolant in it, so I'm going to test for leaks next, then I can move on to potentially putting the rear end back in it and seeing if it moves :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:01 am 

Looks good. Did the exhaust shop put the o2 bung on those headers? It looks like a nice spot on the top side of the diagonal piece just under where the 4 pipes comes together if you can get to that spot when its installed.

Also, I'd keep the wolf on the front of the dash full time for easy access. Then loop up the excess cable on the hand controller and mount it up there too for diagnostics at a glance from the drivers seat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:48 pm 

Nah I have to go back and get that done. I also need to get myself a decent wideband probe and gauge for inside the car. I doubt I'll get the AFRs right doing it blind, and it's kinda important I'd say lol.

I also think there's an issue with the spark. Every so often when the fuel pump primes the relay doesn't switch off, and every few seconds there is a distinct ticking coming from the dizzy (it's pulsing). It's so bad that if you are fiddling anywhere near it while that's happening (or when it's running) you'll get zapped...

Agreed about the ECU, and I'm going to try and find a way to keep the controller in front of me full time while driving. The data I get is as good as a bunch of separate instruments scattered all over the interior, so why not? :)

I turned it over today to show someone, and despite having touched nothing at all since yesterday when it ran and idled nicely, it refused to start, kicked up a fuss, and seemed to backfire back through the inlet... weird. Obviously still got a ways to go yet, might try adjusting the advance and see what that does...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:34 am 

id say get on the wolf forums and ask about those issues, i'd say they are related. could also be an intermittant power supply or bad earth issue somewhere. if it does it again look at the hand controller and see whats not right. i'd guess rpm if the distributor is doing wierd things (its providing the engine position reference) and its misfiring.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:56 pm 

lol, the backfiring is fine now... lift pump wasn't picking up anymore so I filled it with a full jerry can.. all good.

The dizzy still does the same thing, but it's mainly when it's set to ignition before cranking. Also the duty cycle sets to 100% when this happens, but it doesn't appear to be overfuelling when you try and start it. RPM is pretty normal, doesn't surge or seem inconsistent on the readout, and now that I've adjusted the advance (eyeballed, haven't got a timing light at the moment) it doesn't hesitate at all through the rev range anymore.

I'd chalk it up to bad earths was well, but I'm trying to figure out where. The relays are now sitting on the firewall where they do normally on early TXs, and I've got that earth on a clean piece of metal in that area normally used for earthing.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 10   [ 95 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next