Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:39 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 10   [ 95 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: 1975 TX Coupe - Lowdown Styled Drift Gem: Back to Basics
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:53 pm 

Car(s): Many Many Many Geminis
In the end, the TE's damage was too much work to fix to a safe standard, at least with my limited abilities. So here is the new shell that I picked up today for $500 to replace it.

Weren't expecting that were ya? ;)

Bought from Chad (Gemazare) who seems to have a knack for finding Pre ADR TX Coupes (this is my second, and both were bought from him).
As above, being a 7/75 TX, this is a Pre ADR spec car with all the early differences. It's also a genuine manual compared to my other Coupe which was converted from Auto.

No motor, box, lights or grille, but aside from that it's an almost complete roller. Just need a four bolt master/booster and a couple of other small things to make it complete. Body wise it's actually quite good, but the metal the chassis number is stamped on (down by the D/S headlight on these), has been damaged so registering it would probably be too difficult.
There is some small bits of rust in the usual areas. The boot floor isn't perfect, but I'd prefer it that way, and there has been a dodgy plate over in the engine corner sections. There are also some ripples in the D/S rear quarter and a bit of bog in the other side, but for a track car that doesn't bother me at all.

More Pics:

Had a bit of bingle here by the looks of it, panel gaps and cracks give it away:

The thing with the TE is, that my heart just wasn't in it. I'm not a fan of late models in general, and TEs only get some love from me since they still use the early dash as well as a couple of other things. Even so, I've always secretly wanted to track an early, though the fact that I scored a decent Coupe at a good price was unexpected.

Plans are as they were with the last one, as pretty much everything I had saved for the TE will be going into this (part of the reason I stuck with the TE as it turns out, in case I ever had to reshell). The VT brakes, fibreglass dash, gauges, harness, wheels, springs, and the LSD when it is done will all go in this, and a full cage from Walker Chassis at some point.

For now, I'm just going to put the E1 in with the twin IDFs on the Lynx manifold, but I plan to do a halfway NA motor before I go turbo on one of my G180Zs. It'll be a G161 bored to suit 88mm flat tops (over-square for massive revs) taking the same carbies with a massive cam and ported head.

The goal is to have this track-ready in time for the 2012 drift season, to coincide with Eli getting his orange car repaired and back on the track.

Last edited by Hachikansai77 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Starting From Scratch...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:14 am 

Car(s): TE Sedan, VT Commodore Wagon, VT Calais.
Nice pick up. Once you said there was a PM sent, I was waiting for a post like this to pop up :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:33 pm 

Been chipping away at this over the week, but the weather has stalled progress a bit. I'm hoping to pull the E1 out this weekend and change sumps/inlet/clutch and prepare it for dropping in.

Went rust hunting, found a little more:

In two minds if I should plate this now or later, kinda CBF as it's only drift to start with, and it's not structural. We'll see.

Got the dash out, and the drivers seat as well. I'm pulling out the heater core as well as it won't be needed. The loom is being pulled back so I can remove any unessential wiring and splice in for the bigger fuel pump, gauges etc.

Also, since the bootlid on this is MINT (and that's about the only panel that is) I dragged my other Coupe's old rusty bootlid out of retirement:

Good thing I kept it, was this close to chucking it away.

Tried pulling off the rear bar, this happened (Along with taking a chuck of flesh out of my hand when it snapped :x ):

The benefit of being a parts hoarder, is that things like average bumpers are easy to come by for me, so I chucked the rustiest, shittiest bumper I could find on for a laugh:

After looking at it for a while, I've decided it looks kinda cool. A bit Rattish and gives it some extra character, and there's more coming.

STILL waiting on any info about my 15x8s too... :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:14 pm 

Car(s): LC Torana, TD Gemini SL Sedan, TX Gemini SL Sedan
Does anyone else in Adelaide drift using a coupe? I'm looking forward to seeing one of your upteen past and present project-ish gemis get the full restoration treatment!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:39 pm 

Car(s): TG Gemini,TE gemini,79 coupe,78 TD pano,TG racecar
Wow eithan. that rust is nasty!!! but a drift coupe will be a lot sweeter than the TE. BUt a lot of work needed to fix it. probably more work than fixing the sedan. What did you do with the sedan? lot of good pannels on her.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:16 pm 

Car(s): IPRA G180 TX coupe, TURBO TX COUPE
X2 on the nasty rust, that's a death spot for the gemini unless your going to to some major surgery, best way to fix that one is cut a biigggg section out and find a good donor, too fit in.

Btw the rat look rocks, ...Matt black and rust are my favourite colours.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:10 am 

LILGEM wrote:
Wow Ethan. that rust is nasty!!! but a drift coupe will be a lot sweeter than the TE. BUt a lot of work needed to fix it. probably more work than fixing the sedan. What did you do with the sedan? lot of good pannels on her.

The TE is still here, trying to take the doors off as donors for when I do the TD's bodywork (driver's side door is dented and rusted pretty badly). Right now I'm pretty much at the point where I'm ready to cut the hinges off at the body, just so I can get the shell out of my yard and have some room to pull in a skip to take the rest of the rubbish away.

I'm keeping as much as I can off the car, including the grille, bonnet, guards, bootlid, loom, and probably the windscreens. I won't own a late model sedan anymore, but I may again in the future. The coupe bootlid is a good example of why I personally like to hang onto good parts, even if I don't immediately have use for them.
Something else that I plan to keep, is actually the entire front crossmember, brakes and suspension off it. At the very least, the front springs are fairly tough, and may possibly be Lovells or similar, which would be a bonus.

The rust isn't as bad as it looks, find me a early model Coupe for that price that isn't rusted as badly as this one, and I'll eat my words. But like I said, I would prefer it to not be a perfect shell, as it's going to take some knocks if I choose to do tandems on a regular basis.
I helped Eli do some rust repairs on his TE a while back, and while I didn't personally do any welding, the rust was as bad as this, and came out quite good.

Alex, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but you should know that I am focusing on this shell and the TD over the summer. I've been spending my money on little else apart from all the parts for the TD's rebuild, and have been busy cleaning and relevelling the yards while my family is away on holiday, along with working full-time, which is why physically less has been done on them lately.
No one that I know of has ever drifted a Coupe locally, since there is a stigma surrounding them with their rarity. This is what shyed me away from a Coupe at first, but the opportunity was there so I jumped on it. I'd have been happy with an early Sedan as well, as either way parts aren't that difficult for me to get.

I tried pulling off the injection manifold off the E1 the other day, but hit the wall when one of the bolts rounded completely on me. I'll need to put a cold chisel through it and probably the stud. Not that I mind, I already have about three sets of long inlet studs, and won't be running EFI on any motor for a while yet.

Also catagorized and put all the parts aside for the short stroke 1800 build. Block, rods, crank, pistons, sump, and head after picking up a clean bigport over the long weekend. After going through all my heads that are off motors, I found one 161/180 head that had the stronger rocker arms, so I'll tax those to keep it reliable at high-revs. It was also suggested that I look at getting the crank cross-drilled to avoid any oil starvation on 3 and 4 cylinders, so I'll budget for that when I get it all machined up.

The LSD gets ever closer, but I get the impression that I may have been scammed out of $480 with these 15x8s now, as I have not had any contact from the business selling them for over a month. If so I will pursue things in whatever way I can, but I guess it's just a lesson learnt at the end of the day.

Post subject: Re: 1975 Pre ADR TX Coupe - Lowdown/Drift Gem Mark II
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:45 am 

Car(s): LC Torana, TD Gemini SL Sedan, TX Gemini SL Sedan
All I meant Ethan, was that you have a lot of projects on the go at once and now another one to take care of so I assumed progress on the TD rebuld and the kadett inspired TX and the orange coupe will all be delayed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:06 pm 

Car(s): TG Gemini,TE gemini,79 coupe,78 TD pano,TG racecar
Not that i want you to eat your words, but i think it is posible to buy a coupe in better condition for a better price. i payed $750 for my coupe which was running, lowered, gabrel shocks,extractors, 5spd, 14'' minilites, mint seats, and a very good paint job the only rust in it was in the boot and it is'nt that bad.
Maybe i was lucky with this one but it is posible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:53 am 

I think we can all agree that is the exception, not the rule, and that you got veeeeery lucky indeed. At the end of the day, I would still take this one, just because it's actually in worse nick and suits the style I'm going for better (you'll see what I mean as it progresses).

alex.james wrote:
All I meant Ethan, was that you have a lot of projects on the go at once and now another one to take care of so I assumed progress on the TD rebuld and the kadett inspired TX and the orange coupe will all be delayed.

I'm not on a schedule, or at least not for the most part. I want to finish the TD for my 21st in about six months, but whether or not they get "delayed" doesn't matter to me in the slightest. I haven't touched Naomi or the white TX in months, they're both safe undercover for the time being.
I'm in this for the long haul, not to try for six months, lose interest, and sell them on. It could take me the better part of ten years to finish them all, which is fine by me...

Sorry if I'm coming off a bit stand-offish, but I've had a lot of people commenting on how I'm living my life this past week, and it's starting to grate a bit (not directing it at anyone here).

Now, regarding the rounded manifold nut, I lost my shit today and said "f**k it I'm getting this off no matter what!". Went down to Bunnings, bought a nut-splitter set, and a new Makita angle grinder (in case things got really serious). The splitter did it's job though, it's my new favorite tool! Granted, it'll be one of those things that you'll only buy when you really need it. The stud lost the fight, but like I said, plenty more where it came from. Now I just need to pull some short studs off one of the spare heads and mount up the twins.
The next step is the mechanical fuel pump outlet in the head, which is conveniently blocked off by the manifold itself on the E1s. I didn't have time to clean it out and check properly, but I will most likely have to do this another way as the Lynx downdraught manifold doesn't cover that spot properly.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 10   [ 95 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next