Change font size
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 54 of 56   [ 555 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's happening with YOUR Gemini at the moment?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:36 am 

Car(s): TX SR20DET, TX G200W, Dato 1200 Ute
cool vid, really enjoyed watching that. good drifting too :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:48 am 

Car(s): SR20 TD panelvan
u do such a good job editing that! simply awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:31 pm 

Car(s): TX G180W+T, TE G180W, TG G180Z, Piazza 4ZC1T +more
Thanks guys!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:00 pm 

Car(s): IPRA G180 TX coupe, TURBO TX COUPE
That is one awesome video, well done : )

-I think I want to try a bit of drifting.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:03 pm 

Car(s): SR20 TD panelvan
Turbocoupe75 wrote:
-I think I want to try a bit of drifting.....

Ive thought the same thing so many times, to take the gem out to mallala or something, but i would be kicking myself after i put it into the wall.

Eli, I've seen you link your slides up down the straight at mallala and that scares the shit out of me (if it were me) u make it look easy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:46 pm 

I think you'd be hard pressed to hit the wall at mallala. Im wanting to put some road tyres on my srgem and give it another shot too, now! The only place you might hit the wall is after the double apex, but they dont drift in that section so theres nothing to worry about there. Drift is all slow overall speed, so if you do spin out it doesnt take much to stop your car once it leaves the track. But if your unsure just drive down the straight and hit it at corner #1 pleanty of space to contain a loose on both sides of the track there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:55 pm 

I'd describe drifting as the most fun you can have with your clothes on, any day of the week - but I must say it's not something you should attempt in a car you care about (panel wise at least) until you've been doing it for a year or more. Having said that, you can set your own risk level. Tailem bend's a very "safe" track, short of doing a massive scando before the first corner, the worst thing you can hit is a tyre stack, and they're somewhat easy to dodge. There's always the risk of some hero drifting past after you've spun and getting cleaned up, but that's reasonably uncommon.

Mallala's fine with a few exceptions - the first corner is definitely a hair-rasier if you scando, despite the vids I do sh*t bricks before the final transition, when I'm pointing at tyres at 120-odd. Mallala's got a fairly poor surface too, slippery and uneven. In my car at least, if I just turn on the main straight, the car will be drifting all by itself! But it's as simple as not doing scando's, and you can still have awesome fun with minimal risk. Just don't go if it rains!! It really is utterly ridiculous in the rain. Basically though, whilst drifting is best learned in a rough car, you can just take it nice and easy in a decent car while you get the hang of it, you'll have a blast. My biggest tips for newbies would be to drive it like you would grip it - fast - but start throwing the car into the corner trying to get the tail out naturally. Once you're doing that, then start adding a TINY tap of handbrake and powering out - and keep countersteer minimal, you have to turn in BEFORE the car comes back! :lol:

I highly recommend Drift School to anyone that's interested in giving it a try. There's much less chance of getting cleaned up and you get a real good chance to learn your car! There's also the skidpan at some Mallala events (not the one in the middle of the track - the new one outside of the main grounds) which is a fun little second gear ring to learn the ropes. You can see me doing some laps of it in my old Mallala vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6d4moqn ... ature=plcp

Oh, and if any of you lads come out to a Stadium Drift event at Tailem Bend, let me know beforehand (or possibly on the day) and I can take you for a passenger run in the open session at the end - you need neck-wrist-ankle length non-synthetic clothing and a road-legal helmet, and to buy a band at the gate (+$15 last time) and I can take you for some laps! :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:16 pm 

Well, my neck of the woods, things are coming along:

Done a hell of a lot of rust repairs on the TE. Rust-wise, it's actually nearly done. My welder's now dead, but I'm using Ethan's. This is getting done! The car's now half in primer, doors are off. I've seam welded the strut towers (in hindsight, should have stitch-welded) and stitch-welded the seams between the firewall and front inner guards.

I have the VL disks and they're now drilled to 4x100. I need to get the ends of the axles lathed down, as the centre bore is currently to suit a Commmodore. I should hopefully be doing this Friday... Then I can take the whole diff away for assembly.

Unfortunately it's looking like the grandpa-spec TD won't get painted this time around, as my painter's had a whole lot of stuff come up and is running out of time... but as long as Abi (the TE) gets done, I'm happy.

Drift car - I'm looking into getting some customer LCAs made up/modified and fitting a bolt-on steering rack spacer, to get a whole tonne more lock (rather than my current 4mm lock spacers). I also have some bigger brakes, and really want to get around to this soon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:33 pm 

I'd be interested in more lock too, I think. Along with some castor and camber. Keep us posted if you find someone that can make custom steering stuff up. Not really an expert on the subject, though ive read the castor/camber guide on ozgem and here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:00 pm 

Attachment:
rear quater damage 1.jpg
rear quater damage 1.jpg [ 278.39 KiB | Viewed 7827 times ]

Attachment:
rear quater damage 2.jpg
rear quater damage 2.jpg [ 317.69 KiB | Viewed 7827 times ]

Attachment:
rear quater damage 3.jpg
rear quater damage 3.jpg [ 300.72 KiB | Viewed 7827 times ]

grrrrrrrr.. i know where it happened (found the missing chip on the ground) know which house the other car reversed out from, but no witnesses, no note, no recourse. :(

None the less, getting it fixed. And while the paint is mixed up, probably a couple of touchups elsewhere.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 54 of 56   [ 555 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next